Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Two Months?!?!

So, it’s time for a two month update. Things are obviously going well halfway around the world. I cannot believe I’ve been here two months! I’ve done loads of traveling, met lots of people, and have enjoyed overcoming all the challenges of scams, the language barrier, the fact that Thai people are extremely anti-confrontational, and much more.
Classes get frustrating at times. I feel like I’m not learning that much and it’s a lot of common sense (especially in my Marketing Research class and Seminar in International Business). In one of my classes, the professor reads right off the slides…yet, if I don’t go to class, I get 3% off my grade every time I miss. So I’m already sitting on starting at a 97 because of my trip to Singapore, but I could learn everything just by reading his slides. The students also get tutors for every subject. I did not expect this competition in classes. When we received midterm grades back, the students were outright asking each other what they made. Even the professors will list everyone’s grades up on the screen. As I’m sure I’ve written before, the students are extremely immature. Right now, I’m sitting in class and a girl is giving a presentation and is cracking up which makes all the girls giggle, giggle, giggle. Just like Carolina, Chulalongkorn (or at least the International Business program) is overwhelmingly female. Anyways, I did OK on two of my midterms and really bombed one so I was disappointed. I didn’t expect to have to study much as I’d heard Thailand was extremely lax in classes, but I don’t think it holds true for students in this BBA program as they study constantly. But I suppose studying for midterms and then for finals is better than studying weekly.
The past week and next few weeks are extremely hectic for me. Last week was midterm week. This week, I had class Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday…and I have class Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. So obviously, all those days I didn’t have class in January and February are all adding up now for MARCH MADNESS. This Friday, I have two one hour presentations which account for 40% of my grade which my group hasn’t started on. Then, I have to do another 20% of my grade in the form of a case study analysis within the next week because I’m having some pretty important visitors soon (my parents—G&L, Aunt Kay, and Mrs. Pat). SO LIFE IS CRAZY!
Last week, I had my friends from Singapore in for the weekend. While I had class on Saturday, I sent them off to the Grand Palace and Wat Po, and then we just hung out that night. Sunday, we went to the JJ Market and came back exhausted so took naps and went around town that night. It was fun to have some Carolina love around…I miss it a lot!
So my “important visitors” get here Wednesday night (March 11) and their tour starts the 15th. My plans are hitting up the Night Bazaar I love so much, Jim Thompson stores and the factory store, the Sirocco Sky Bar, perhaps the doll museum, maybe the JJ Market if it’s not too brutally hot, looking at the Paragon with its car dealerships, opera house, and movie theaters. I don’t know what else we’ll do, but I’m excited to see them. I wish Catherine could come though! She’s keeping Marley and Chip though.
Upcoming trips I’m planning: I’m stuck in Bangkok through my parents’ trip of Vietnam and Cambodia. I have a final exam the weekend of the 20th of March and again the weekend of 27th. I may be able to change my first final exam and head off to a nearby destination the weekend of the 20th, but right now, that’s not the plan. So currently, my first trip will be when my parents get back on March 28th. We’re heading up to Chang Mai and spending almost a week up there trekking, white water rafting, shopping, cooking, having massages, etc. etc. etc. Then, we fly back on the 3rd and my parents leave the 4th. Right after, I’m hoping to travel to Laos for a few days, then head back down to Thailand to Chang Rai and end up again in Chang Mai for Songkran (which is the Thai New Year).
So there’s a short update. Now I have to pay attention to presentations in class.  Miss you all! XOXO

P.S. if this didn't make sense at times, I apologize. I'm attempting to pay attention and type this. Multi-tasking doesn't work...

1 comment:

  1. Chrissie,

    You have posted BEAUTIFUL pictures!! You can now officially take over my photographer position! We miss you!!!!!!

    XOXOXOXOXOXXO

    Joan

    ReplyDelete